School Health Centre Manager
SCHOOL HEALTH CENTRE MANAGER - IPSWICH
Competitive salary - accommodation
Required from 21 August 2017
Our client is a leading independent co-educational boarding and day school for 11 - 18 year olds, set in 200 acres of Suffolk countryside overlooking the River Stour.
A vacancy has arisen for a Health Centre Manager. They seek to recruit a qualified Registered Nurse to deliver high quality nursing care to pupils, staff and visitors. The Health Centre Manager will be responsible for medical compliance in line with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct and the best practice guidelines issued by the RCN, BSA and ISI. Candidates will have the energy and enthusiasm required to commit to a large boarding and day school. The School has its own salary scale and outstanding development opportunities. The successful candidate should preferably reside in the Health Centre flat during term time.
Main Duties and responsibilities
· To provide emergency care of any persons on site seeking medical advice.
· To be responsible for the smooth and efficient running of the Health Centre, ensuring effective systems and procedures are in place.
· To refer pupils for School Doctor or A&E care, as required and appropriate, and to be responsible for the organisation of continued care of each pupil until the parent or guardian takes over.
· To work with the School Doctor, in line with the Service Level Agreement, to co-ordinate pupil appointments with the School Doctor at either the Surgery or Health Centre clinics.
· To be the first point of contact for parents/guardians, Housemasters/mistresses, matrons and teaching staff in respect of any medical concerns with pupils in order to keep them appraised of the progress of any pupil being cared for by the Health Centre, always with due regard to the School's Data Protection policy.
· To provide 24/7 medical care as required for all full boarding pupils to include:
o first aid and emergency care;
o daily nursing clinics;
o in-patient care;
o health advice;
o referral for counselling;
o vaccinations, immunisations and travel health;
o allergy management.
· To provide medical care for day pupils and flexi-boarders, and School Doctor support in line with the Service Level Agreement.
· To liaise with outside agencies including hospitals and pharmacies.
· To support School staff wellbeing through providing limited services including first aid, emergency care and general health advice.
· To manage and lead the team of 3-4 nursing staff, physiotherapist, counsellor, hospital escorts, administrator and cleaner; and to oversee the work of the dental service.
· To be responsible for drawing up duty rotas and ensuring that the Health Centre is appropriately staffed at all times.
· To maintain a high quality of record keeping to NMC standards.
· To engage with School software programmes such as iSAMS for out of School
notifications, Evolve for accident reporting and RIDDOR, and Evolve for School trips.
· To create, review and update as required Health Centre policies and guidelines.
· To ensure Health Centre staff comply with School policies and procedures, including inter alia Child Protection and Safeguarding, Health & Safety and First Aid.
· To maintain a commitment to professional development and to keep up-to-date with all relevant changes and developments that take place within the nursing profession.
· To manage the training, development and appraisals of all staff in line with the NMC guidelines for registration.
· To liaise with the Deputy Head (Pastoral) to develop research-based guidance and reports that inform best practice, and contribute to preventative health and health education including supporting the pupil wellbeing programme.
· To attend Pastoral Care Committee Meetings, Health & Safety Committee Meetings and other School meetings as required.
· To manage the Health Centre budget.
· To oversee general household duties to keep the Health Centre clean, tidy and fully stocked.
· To follow the correct procedures for the control of infectious diseases.
· To follow the correct procedures for the safe storage/disposal of drugs and clinical waste.
· Any other duties which may reasonably be expected by the School from time to time.