CARER / HCA (Part-Tme)
Nr SHREWSBURY SHROPSHIRE
HEALTH CARE ASSISTANTS (Part-Time weekends)
Salary within NHS Band 4, dependent on skills, experience and qualifications.
Our client is one of England's premier co-educational international boarding schools for pupils between the ages of 13 -19. Set in 77 acres of Shropshire parkland, the College combines outstanding facilities with first-rate academic performance.
They are seeking HCAs to assist the Nursing team in promoting health and wellbeing and providing the highest possible standard of medical and pastoral care for their students, working part-time weekends including overnight duty.
The successful candidates will have a minimum of NVQ level 3 (or equivalent) or foundation degree (or equivalent) in health care. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to, communicate with and care for young people of all nationalities and religions are essential. Previous experience of a boarding school environment or caring for children would be desirable.
This is a vibrant community striving to achieve the highest standards possible in all areas. These vacancies provide opportunities for experienced candidates to contribute to the future success of the College.
Main Duties/Tasks include:
· attending to students who are sick in their boarding houses;
· arranging and delivering meals to sick students in their boarding houses or in the medical rooms;
· liaising with the duty staff regarding sick students' absence from Saturday tests;
· undertaking new student medicals, under the direction of the College nurses;
· assisting in special and seasonal projects in liaison with the College nurses (for example, the flu vaccine), if required
· consistently and accurately maintaining the medical database and written records together with undertaking such other administrative duties as assigned by the College nurses;
· accident/incident reporting, ensuring the relevant forms are completed and passed to the Health and Safety Officer;
· arranging and coordinating checks/appointments for students at the local surgery, hospital and dentists, including organising the transport of students;
· checking first aid kits throughout the campus;
· assisting College nurses with the purchasing/stock control of medical supplies, if required;
· attending training courses to update skills and knowledge, as required;
· complying with policies and procedures, including those relating to safeguarding and child protection, health and safety, welfare, smoking in the workplace, security, confidentiality and data protection, and reporting any concerns.
· at least two years' experience working as a health care assistant
· excellent interpersonal skills
· proven ability to relate to and care for young people
· proven organisational and administrative skills
· good IT skills
· team player
Within NHS Band 4 pro-rata based on a nursing year of 50 weeks, which includes paid holiday entitlement.
Cover will be required as follows:-
· From 4pm each Saturday to 8am each Sunday (to be covered by two Health Care Assistants working alternate weekends)
· 2.30pm - 10.30pm each Sunday (to be covered by one Health Care Assistant working every Sunday or two Health Care Assistants working alternate Sundays)
Paid annual holiday entitlement is pro rata 5.6 working weeks (including public holidays), which must be taken during normal College holidays. Some public holidays are classed as normal working days.
Attendance is required in all weeks when there are students on campus and pre and post official College holidays to ensure department readiness/completion of administrative responsibilities